Monday, October 26, 2009

Real Estate & The Ivey Finance Club Newsletter

I realize that my blog contributions have been lacking lately, primarily due to the incredibly tight schedule during the first and second modules for the Ivey MBA program. However, I thought I would write a brief post to highlight a few growth opportunities that I have been afforded within the broader scope of "finance".

Historically speaking, I have always been interested in real estate as a wealth creation vehicle, but have had little opportunity to study the industry or the merits of different types of real estate investments. Thanks to Ivey, this has all changed.

I have had the opportunity to join the Real Estate Club, where every two weeks I have had the chance to gather with like-minded real estate professionals. I have enjoyed our first few meetings, and will continue to network with and learn from this group of talented individuals.

One of our largest projects during the Ivey MBA program is to develop a "New Venture Project" from concept, to business plan, to tangible business. I have been so fortunate to be able to join a group of six bright, young real estate professionals in forming a team. Our firm, entitled "Ivy Green Real Estate Development Corporation", will be a boutique real-estate development firm with a primary focus on mixed-use commercial and residential re-development projects. I am extremely excited to develop our firm concept, and to also be involved in the sourcing of an actual real estate project. I believe actually walking through the concept design, development, and execution of an actual real estate development project with experienced people will give me the framework, confidence, and abilities necessary for building a real estate portfolio in the future.

Finally, as part of the Ivey Finance Club, I have started contributing to the bi-weekly newsletter. Specifically, I am in charge of Real Estate / REIT research. The format is designed to highlight some of the major occurrences in the industry, hone in on a few of those occurrences with some analysis, and then follow up with a few key take-aways / implications.

No comments:

Post a Comment