Saturday, October 16, 2010

Long Trade Idea - Pollard Banknote Limited

I love researching small and micro-caps because I always seem to find treasure amongst what is perceived as the trash. These businesses are never covered in the media or by analysts, and they are often dirt cheap for a reason. Analytically I find it more stimulating to be able to research these companies than to take for granted what 20 analysts have said about a large-cap bank or oil stock. Risk-reward wise, these small firms also tend to have a lot more upside than larger companies, as evidenced by the small-cap performance advantage discussed in many academic studies.

One of the micro-cap companies that I researched in the summer was Pollard Banknote Limited. I researched it primarily for my own investing purposes, but I also gave a presentation to the Ivey Finance club on why it should be bought. Below, please find the Media Fire link to the PowerPoint presentation, which has audio embedded. In addition, for anybody that does not have the time to watch the presentation, I have done a quick write-up on the investment thesis below that. Enjoy!

http://www.mediafire.com/?gb529c90u9iu52a

Founded in 1907 by the Pollard family (73.3% majority owner), Pollard Banknote (TSX: PBL, $2.50 share price, $16mm float) is in the lottery business. Specifically, Pollard is in three business lines:

1. Instant scratch tickets (88% of revenues) – Pollard produces 10.3bn / annum.
2. Charitable gaming (11% of revenues) – These are essentially pull-tab tickets.
3. Vending machines (1% of revenues) – Vending machines that dispense scratch tickets.

Pollard sells to 45 lotteries world-wide, and generates 56% of its revenues from the US, 24% from Canada, and 20% internationally. They have about 20% market share globally, but 83% in Canada and 20% in the US.

• PBL IPO’d in 2005 as a trust at $10 and has traded down to a low of $2.24. I believe the shares have stabilized at the current level of $2.50. In essence there is limited downside, and I believe this is so because of the cheap valuation and stable business results that it can generate.

• PBL underperformed for five years due to volatile top-line growth, competitive industry pressures, a decline in very volatile earnings, two distribution cuts, a 50% increase in long-term debt since the IPO, and the fact that no research analysts cover it. In short, it is an un-loved, under-followed value stock.

• Since converting into a corporation in May 2010, the dividend is now stable at $0.12 / annum, translating into a 4.8% yield. You are paid to wait for this company to reach a higher, more appropriate valuation.

• Gross margins have always been stable at ~20%. Net margins have fluctuated, but have averaged around 6%. They have trended downwards to about 4% recently. EBITDA margins have stabilized at 12% on a normalized basis. The key take-away? The business is stable, and this is especially so because PBL is part of what is essentially a duopoly in North America.

• PBL trades at 35% of book value and 7x 2010E P/E. It can get cheaper, but I believe it has bottomed based on fundamentals.

• Management rationalized a new $8.5mm press-line installed in 2008 / 2009. It took two years to attain proper efficiencies, so the costs associated with that will no longer be present going-forward. In addition, with the closure of the Kamloops facility, a $4.7mm restructuring charge was assumed in recent quarters, but this will save $4mm in costs per annum in the future. This cost reduction will go directly to the bottom-line and into shareholder’s pockets.

• As capacity utilization is cut (Kamloops), and costs eliminated from the business, growth cap-ex will be cut which will free up the $10-$15mm of free cash flow that the business generates on a normalized basis for debt pay-down. By paying down the $75mm (out of $105mm) credit facility already drawn, the financial / bankruptcy risk of this business will dissipate rather quickly, and I think the market will begin to value PBL slightly higher.

• Taking into account the above mentioned cost-reduction measures, normalized earnings should be around $0.50 / annum. Applying current EV/EBITDA and P/E multiples to the more appropriate forward earnings produces share price targets of $3.40 to $4.00, implying 40% to 60% upside. This does not include contract wins, which are all upside.

• Ultimately, I believe management will privatize the 26.7% of the business it doesn’t own at $3.50 to $4.00, as those are private market values at 7-8x earnings, and represent a 12.5% to 15% earnings yield on the business. Very attractive from an insider's perspective. The final point is that management owns 73.3% of this company. It has been in the family for 103 years. Furthermore, the livelihood and reputation of four Pollard brothers depends on this firm. They will not risk the company by levering it up anymore. Rather, I believe they will take it private and start paying down debt to achieve a higher private-market valuation for the company.

5 comments:

  1. Nice analysis. Good to see another intelligent person picking up on this one.

    Just one "beef": Not enough mention of GTech Printing (GTP) as a risk.

    PBL mgmt tries to downplay GTP's impact, I think they are a real problem. We have a well-financed (by parent Lottomatica), aggressive newcomer entering a duopolistic market. While the lottery industry is a bit more staid than most, increasing the # of "real" competitors by 50% will have a negative impact on existing players.

    Unfortunately, neither PBL nor SGMS can do much more than react. Some known unknowns:
    1. How badly will this affect margins on new contracts.
    2. Will GTech behavior get worse, better, stay the same?
    3. How long will this last?


    Sure, PBL management will talk about how GTP is losing money for the parent. However, read the Lottomattica AR. GTP's loss of 7.9M euros was part of a 110M euro group profit. Material, but not detrimental. More importantly, note on pg 35 of 2009 AR:

    The Group‟s strategy is summarized as follows:
    *Continue to accelerate same-store sales growth;
    *Win new jurisdictions and bid for operator opportunities;
    *Grow instant ticket printing capabilities;
    *Roll out new distribution platforms, focusing particularly on interactive channels; and
    *Timely launch VLT program in Italy, proposing its turnkey solutions to other concessionaires.

    GTP is part of OVERALL company's go-forward strategy. They're not walking away from GTP anytime soon.

    Anyway , nice analysis. While my commments may imply otherwise, I think PBL is very interesting at these price levels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a bit late to the Party-dizzle but I stumbled on this by accident...I's a trader. Nice sales pitch on PBL (I hope you're considering institutional equity sales)...BUT what struck me was the low float. Unfortunately, bizzle-drizzle, the lack of liquidity means this thing will never appreciate to those levels mentioned. Ave daily trade volume is less than 10k shares!!! Also, couldn't help but notice the FX risk (75% of revenues outside of Canad-izzle but only 25% of Debt -so barely a natural hedge)...plus, they's be reporting ugly trends of lower volumes, lower prices due to a change in produce mix. Moreover, they's has to start making principal payments on they credit line in 2011, 50% of free cash flowz!!!

    Looks risky to me. Why haven't they privatized now, with the share price where it be? Prolly cuz the family just don't have the capital hangin' round. And PE's firms prolly aint trippin' (straight trippin') all over theyselves to buy this guy up given the negative trends in operating fundamentals and increased competition.

    STILL, the divi adds an interesting incentive -most co's of this size don't have a nice divvy.

    All that said, I'll prolly sit this one out as there are much better opportunities out there in the small-cap space. I'm sitting on 4 or 5 3,4,5 baggers right now in my PA (personal account). Good Luck lil' bing-crizzle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the very interesting comments, and your points are definitely valid. I'm just curious of who you actually are! lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My name is Isabella miller and I base in USA...“My life is back!!! After 14 years of Broken marriage, my husband left me and our two twins . I felt like my life was about to end i almost committed suicide, i was emotionally down for a very long time. Thanks to a spell caster called Dr Sunday which i met online. On one faithful day, as I was browsing through the internet, I was searching for a good spell caster that can solve my problems. I came across allot of testimonies about this particular spell caster. Some people testified that he brought their Ex lover back, some testified that he restores womb,cure cancer,and other sickness, some testified that he can cast a spell to stop divorce and so on. i also come across one particular testimony,it was about a woman called Sonia,she testified about how Dr Sunday brought back her Ex lover in less than 7 days and reverse the effect of their little boys cancer, and at the end of her testimony she dropped Dr Sunday's e-mail address. After reading all these,I decided to give Dr Sunday a try. I contacted him via email and explained my problem to him. In just 3 days, my husband came back to me. We solved our issues, and we are even happier than before. Dr Sunday is really a gifted man and i will not stop publishing him because he is a wonderful man... If you have a problem and you are looking for a real and genuine spell caster to solve all your problems for you. Try Dr Sunday anytime, he might be the answer to your problems. Here's his contact:{ikehedusundayspell@gmail.com}.or by phone :+23477856267 Thank you Dr Sunday

    ReplyDelete
  5. My name is Isabella miller and I base in USA...“My life is back!!! After 14 years of Broken marriage, my husband left me and our two twins . I felt like my life was about to end i almost committed suicide, i was emotionally down for a very long time. Thanks to a spell caster called Dr Sunday which i met online. On one faithful day, as I was browsing through the internet, I was searching for a good spell caster that can solve my problems. I came across allot of testimonies about this particular spell caster. Some people testified that he brought their Ex lover back, some testified that he restores womb,cure cancer,and other sickness, some testified that he can cast a spell to stop divorce and so on. i also come across one particular testimony,it was about a woman called Sonia,she testified about how Dr Sunday brought back her Ex lover in less than 7 days and reverse the effect of their little boys cancer, and at the end of her testimony she dropped Dr Sunday's e-mail address. After reading all these,I decided to give Dr Sunday a try. I contacted him via email and explained my problem to him. In just 3 days, my husband came back to me. We solved our issues, and we are even happier than before. Dr Sunday is really a gifted man and i will not stop publishing him because he is a wonderful man... If you have a problem and you are looking for a real and genuine spell caster to solve all your problems for you. Try Dr Sunday anytime, he might be the answer to your problems. Here's his contact:{ikehedusundayspell@gmail.com}.or by phone :+23477856267 Thank you Dr Sunday

    ReplyDelete